The Starting School Course is an early initiative course by Co-curriculum and Student Development Centre Universiti Putra Malaysia in helping new students to familiarize themselves with the university environment. Priority will be given to the Malaysians full-time undergraduate new students.This course is designed based on a study conducted by Co-curriculum and Student Development Centre inaccordance to some of the problems or challenges that is usually faced by new students entering university.
This one-day course is conducted in UPM with the cooperation of the faculties. This course will be guided by selected facilitators. The facilitators are UPM lecturers who have attended the Training of Trainers Workshop.
There are 5 topic offered under this Starting School Course. The topic offered are:
1) Suai Diri
2) Seronoknya Belajar!
3) Etika dan Penampilan Pelajar
4) English 'Fear No More'
5) Graduan Unggul
1) The adaption of new students with the university environment.
2) Studying aspect in university (strategies, skills and techniques of studying).
3) Sosial aspect (social skills, interaction and teamwork).
4) The importance of communicating in English language.
5) The employers�s expectation with the graduates� quality that will enter the world of career.
Starting School Course is held for one day within the UPM campus. Total hours for this course is 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, as the date is already set to the faculty.
The concept of the course is training in the group and student-friendly approach, which is implemented 70% practical and 30% theory courses are included in the activities that require students to discuss, make presentations and be active in class.
1. Propper appearance adhered to the dress code of the university.
2. Stationery (especially 2B pencil).
STUDENT ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
Each student will be assessed throughout the course in 3 aspects:
1) Use of the Malay language.
2) Use of English language.
3) Self appearance.
Certificate will be issued to students who complete the course successfully for 1 day. Certificates can be claimed in the Co-curriculum and Student Development Centre, UPM.
Updated:: 24/12/2016 [sitiafiqah]